Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, November 4, 2013

The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot

The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot
"Heather Wells is used to having her cake and eating it too, but this time her cake just might be cooked. Her wedding cake, that is.

With her upcoming nuptials to PI Cooper Cartwright only weeks away, Heather's already stressed. And when a pretty junior turns up dead, Heather's sure things can't get worse—until every student in the dorm where she works is a possible suspect, and Heather's long-lost mother shows up.

Heather has no time for a tearful mother and bride reunion. She has a wedding to pull off and a murder to solve. Instead of wedding bells, she might be hearing wedding bullets, but she's determined to bring the bad guys to justice if it's the last thing she does . . . and this time, it just might be."- summary from Amazon

Let's just be honest, this review doesn't really mean much. I mean, it's a new Meg Cabot book- you know you're gonna get it. But the publisher wants a review, so here it is.

This was a fantastic book. I've been a huge fan of the Heather Wells series and was very excited when it was announced that two more book would be written (this and last year's Ready to Rock) after the supposed ending of Big Boned. Cabot's written a perfect series-closer, though I've heard from a BookTalk Nation video chat she did in September that there might be one more book on the way. While I would welcome many many more Heather Wells books, this would've been a great way to leave the series. It's handled so beautifully, and with a cameo from one of Meg's other leading ladies that may have made me squeal with joy.

Reading this book made me really want to re-read the previous four. While I read the fourth last year when it was released, it's been several years since I read the first three (they were released 2005-2007 and I read them at that time). I love spending time with these characters and all the little call-backs and plot refreshers made me nostalgic. I have actually started the re-reading process and it's so much fun. Since it's been so long, it's almost like having a few new Heather Wells books to read!

Cabot really does an amazing job building up all the secondary characters so they feel real and the reader really gets to know them over each novel. It helps so much to infuse life into the world of the series and provides a wonderful familiarity. I particularly love Gavin- he always provides such wonderful humor and is so over-the-top that it's a joy to read scenes he's in.

Like with the last book though, I felt like the murder and the motive weren't as up to par with the ones in the first three books. It just didn't feel very realistic to me. That's honestly my only complaint though, but with so much other stuff going on throughout the book (Heather's mom coming back, her wedding planning, other surprises), it wasn't that big of a deal.

Overall, another great book from Cabot. While there isn't anything announced yet, I look forward to whatever Cabot has in store for us next!


FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

No comments:

Post a Comment