Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, July 8, 2013

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West


The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
"Money can't buy a good first impression.

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers learned early that the rich are not to be trusted. And after years of studying them from behind the cash register of her mom's porcelain-doll shop, she has seen nothing to prove otherwise. Enter Xander Spence—he's tall, handsome, and oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and the fact that he seems to be one of the first people who actually gets her, she's smart enough to know his interest won't last. Because if there's one thing she's learned from her mother's warnings, it's that the rich have a short attention span. But just when Xander's loyalty and attentiveness are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn't a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she'd ever realized. With so many obstacles standing in their way, can she close the distance between them?"- summary from Amazon

This book was simply adorable and hilarious. I picked it up on a whim when I wanted to read something that wasn't out until summertime (I read this book in May) and also something that wasn't dark or paranormal. I needed a light, romantic read and this definitely hit the spot. Filled with tons of wit, loveable characters, and a swoon-worthy romance, it's the perfect summer read.

I absolutely loved Caymen's voice; any time a character uses sarcasm, I immediately like them as it's my main form of humor. Her interactions with Xander were a joy to read and seeing them grow closer together as the novel went on was so much fun. I read this book very quickly for me (I'm not exactly the fastest reader), and had problems putting it down. I just wanted to keep reading, it was so compelling; the whole money issue was handled really well here and there are some interesting reveals.

Overall, I absolutely love this book to pieces. I would recommend it to pretty much anyone and, even though it's not contemporary, now I need to read West's debut, Pivot Point, which I've been meaning to for a while.

FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

3 comments:

  1. I got an ARC of this from the publisher too. You've got me excited to read it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great review. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds cute, I'm leery of the name Caymen though, but it sounds sweet otherwise

    ReplyDelete