Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day by David Levithan
"Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

Every morning, A wakes in a different person’s body, a different person’s life. There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day."- summary from Amazon

Okay, can someone please explain to me how David Levithan can come up with such unique premises and then deliver so well on them, while also being in charge at Scholastic? It's crazy how talented this man is, but it just reaffirms why he's one of my very favorite authors. It has been a while since I've read a book by just him, which was Wide Awake in 2006 (I've read Dash & Lily and WGx2) so it was nice to read his writing again.

Anyway, I absolutely adored this book. Hearing the premise made me a bit wary about the execution, but I shouldn't have worried. Levithan handled this book so well and wrote it in such a compelling way. I really enjoyed getting to know A throughout the book.

There were a few points where I wanted to know more about the characters that A was inhabiting, particularly the Asian girl in the beginning, and that kinda made me sad about how the story had to be told. Also while the ending made sense, I was really hoping for something different.

Overall, another great book from Levithan and I can't wait to see what he's got up his sleeve next!

FTC: Received e-galley from Netgalley. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously, Levithan has his fingers in so many of my favorite books and he can write awesome things. It's unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little worried (hesitant, maybe?) about this one as well. I shouldn't have been. Levithan is pure awesome. I think because we didn't get to know many of the people A inhabited very well, it made me understand what life was like, moving and changing bodies each day. So temporary. Every Day impacted me more than I would have imagined. I cried for so long at the end. While the end wasn't what I was hoping for either, I do feel that if it had been anything else, it would have seemed a bit contrived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its only this past week that I've heard what this book is about and it sounds absolutely intriguing and if it has a weepie ending I'm there, I'll hopefully get it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ending was unsatisfying because A (spoiler allert!) gives up Rhiannon but is willing to learn how to stay in the one body, despite knowing it is pretty much murder. Why would he bother if he just gave up his love? WTF??

    ReplyDelete