Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers by Lynn Weingarten

The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers by Lynn Weingarten
"If there’s an upside to having your heart broken, it’s this: A broken heart makes you brave.

The first day of sophomore year doesn’t go the way Lucy planned. After a summer apart from her boyfriend, she’s ready to greet him with a special surprise and instead gets a shocking one in return: He’s breaking up with her. Beyond devastated, Lucy has no idea how she’s going to make it through homeroom, let alone the rest of her life.

Enter three stunning girls with the unnatural ability to attract boys and an offer Lucy can’t refuse: They can heal her heart in an instant. And then she’ll be one of them—a member of a sisterhood that is impervious to heartbreak and has access to magic distilled from the tears of brokenhearted boys. But to gain their power, Lucy must get a guy to fall in love with her the old-fashioned way, and then break his heart in the next seven days.

While the sisterhood may need another Heartbreaker, Lucy’s only desire is to get her ex back. But how far is she willing to go, and who is she willing to cross to get what she wants?"- summary from Amazon

I absolutely adored Weingarten's debut, Wherever Nina Lies, which was just so fun, intriguing and so unputdownable, so of course I was eagerly anticipating her follow-up. While I did like the book, it took me a long while to really get engrossed in it. For me, it was kinda lacking that same spark that made her debut such a page-turner. It's not bad or anything, but I just never felt a pull to pick up the book and read it.

Once in the latter half of the book, I was turning pages quickly wanting to know what would happen next and getting really involved in Lucy's story. It's a magical second half that dazzles and has some wonderful twists to it, which leads to a nice ending that makes me want more.

The idea of the Heartbreakers was really cool and I liked how Weingarten set it up and how information was dispensed about them. There was never an info dump; there's a sprinkling throughout the book as Lucy gets further involved and deals with several tests.

Overall, it is a good book, though it does take time to become invested, and I'm still looking forward to more from Weingarten. I highly suggest her debut book to anyone; it's amazing.


FTC: Received ARC from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds good and interesting but doesn't really make me want to rush out and read it, you know?

    Thanks for the review!
    I still need to read Wherever Nina Lies.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this one and featured it too.Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! I'll have to keep an eye out for this and Wherever Nina Lies.

    ReplyDelete