Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The McCloud Home for Wayward Girls by Wendy Delsol


The McCloud Home for Wayward Girls by Wendy Delsol
"The McCloud Home for Wayward Girls, once a haven for unwed mothers, is now a bed-and-breakfast that houses three generations of women-and their many secrets...

In the early 1960s, Ruby, a spunky unwed teen mother was wooed and won over by the founder of the McCloud Home. Now, forty years later, the historic property has been converted into an inn that Ruby runs with one of her daughters, Jill. When Jill's fourteen-year-old daughter begins to search for the identity of her father, she sets in motion events that will test the bonds that bind mothers, daughters, and sisters.

Jill unwittingly aids the forces of upheaval when she agrees to host the wake of the town matriarch. As the guests-including the matriarch's handsome nephew and Jill's vivacious, irresponsible sister Jocelyn-return to the small town, the convergence of people and memories uncovers rivalries, sparks romance, recalls heartbreak, and reveals a shocking family secret, one that could separate the McCloud women forever or lead them to the renewal of their powerful, enduring connection."- summary from Amazon

I will be honest and say that I had no idea this was an adult novel until I got the ARC in my hands. It doesn't necessarily change anything but I guess I had to alter my mindset for the book. Delsol's debut Stork was a YA and so I assumed she'd continue doing only that. Well, I'm wrong and I'm glad I am.

Delsol did a really good job with this book and aside from being an adult novel, it also shows off a different side to her writing- it's realistic rather than paranormal like her Stork series. I loved reading about these characters and the Wayward Home converted into an inn. While there's a lot of secrets and not-fun confrontations, I liked being in this world and coming back to the book.

It was interesting too how Delsol told the story- while most of it is from Jill's perspective, there's the occasional chapters where it's told from Fee's perspective as well as going into the past to be told from Jill's mother Ruby's POV. I love multiple POVs in a book and this worked really well because I felt like when it came to the secrets going on, Delsol chose to show the reader rather than tell the reader.

Overall, just a fantastic adult debut and, now having seen two sides to Delsol's writing, I'm eager for more!

FTC: Received ARC from author. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

No comments:

Post a Comment