Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Forgotten by Cat Patrick review + contest


Forgotten by Cat Patrick
"What if every day when you woke up, you had no recollection of the days before?

Each night at precisely 4:33 am, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased. In the morning, all she can “remember” are events from her future. London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture. Luke Henry is not someone you’d easily forget, but try as she might, London can’t find him in her memories of things to come.

When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it’s time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting – before it destroys her future."- summary from book

This book is such a quick read and I just flew through it. I had meant to read a chapter or two before bed but then ended up 50 pages in before stopping (and the chapters are fairly short). Patrick has a wonderfully fluid way of writing that really just pulls the reader along, even if nothing much is happening, which is the case for the first half of the novel. There are bits and pieces of mysterious things happening that pique the interest but for the most part, it's about London going to school and getting to know this new mysterious guy Luke.

The latter half of the novel is where London really takes hold of her life and is trying to figure everything out- why she loses her memory at 4:33 am every morning, what her mother is hiding from her, and what's going on with her and Luke. So this is where all the mysteries unravel. I will say that I guessed half of the reason why she lost her memory, which I'm quite proud of because that never happens to me. The other half was unexpected and was a really nice twist.

I loved all the characters and they were realistic, flawed and all that good stuff. I enjoyed reading about Luke and London's romance, which was filled with obstacles. The ending was amazing and Patrick left the reader in a really good place.

Overall, this is a really good, original book and you all should definitely check it out. The contest below will be a good place to start!


Thanks to Little, Brown and Chelsy at Big Honcho Media, I have two copies of Forgotten to give away! All you have to do is leave a comment on this post by Tuesday, July 5 at 9pm EST. US residents only! I will notify the winners shortly after by email, so if your email is not readily accessible, please include it in your comment.



FTC: Received hardcover from publisher. Link above is an Amazon Associate link; any profit goes toward funding contests.

13 comments:

  1. oohh enter me!!!

    americangirlie1991 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! I already saw that video. Ahh well it was entertaining all over again! Thanks for the giveaway!

    Kara
    Survivorluvr33(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dying to read this book forever! Thanks for the opportunity to win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to be entered in this contest! I'm intrigued by the memory erasing idea. Hard to wrap my head around how that would work or how that would feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds perfect to me right now. I find memory loss and the after effect so thrilling and intruging. I'd love the chance to read this one. Thanks!

    jennapomme[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree ^^
    Sounds like a great read :)

    TapiaL1993[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. :)

    Sara @ The Hiding Spot
    thehidingspotATliveDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had my eye on this one! It's good to know it's got a good ending, don't you love that?
    Plz enter me
    cubicleblindness at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read this book! It sounds really unique and definitely interesting! Thanks so much for this contest:)

    sylvia_uy4 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to win!

    scr15@duke.edu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why does the cover model not look like London as described in the book? (extemter at hotmail dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that synopsis! Sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading this book. It was sincerely a pleasant read. It just was. It's one of those realistic books that, although not entirely suspenseful, you can't help but turn the pages quickly wanting to know more and more.
    I don't know how the author does it, but Cat Patrick sure knows how to make it seem as if all this is possible. As a reader, you don't find yourself even doubting that this can occur. If Cat Patrick says it, then it must be true.

    ReplyDelete