Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday- Editor turned Author Edition

I usually don't do themed editions of Waiting on Wednesday but in the past week, I came across two upcoming books being written by two editors I know.



Summary: Skye never questioned the story of her life. Her Aunt Jo adopted her after the death of her parents when she was just a child, and together they flip through memories the way some people flip through photo albums.

She never questioned if the stories were true.

Until the night of her 17th birthday, when the arrival of two strangers intrudes on her cozy life. Polar opposites, like fire and ice, Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair, cold, and aloof. Skye has no idea what they want—only that their presence coincides with the beginning of some shockingly strange events. Events that Skye, if she dares to think it, might be responsible for causing.

High up in the mountains of Boulder, Colorado, Skye finds herself caught in the middle of an ancient battle, one that began untold millennia ago. Torn between unpredictable Asher, whom she loves, and the infuriating Devin, who she can’t stay away from, her fate is murky as a starless night. And as the secrets of her true identity are revealed, Skye realizes that her destiny may reside in the Heavens—or somewhere darker.


(this is the only photo I could find from a review and I'm not even sure this is the right cover...)
Summary: She knows only Sam, a mysterious teenage boy. He is her sole companion; her whole life. She was born, already a teenager, lying outside a burning building in soot-stained clothes, remembering nothing, not even her name. He showed her the necklace she had on, the one that named her: Abby. Sam brought her to live in his cave-palace, where he gives her everything she needs. He loves her. He protects her from the world outside, from everyone who wants to hurt them, like the denizens of Circle Nine, Dante’s deepest circle of hell.

But even in a charmed, brand-new life like Abby’s, change will come. Sam falls ill. A new girl comes to stay, and Abby begins to question Sam’s devotion. With doubt comes emotional turmoil, changes in perception, and glimpses of her past identity. In this courageous psychological thriller, Abby tells the story of living her new life and discovering her old one, while grappling with an ever-changing reality.


Don't both of them sound AWESOME?! I'm really excited and proud to see these two editors get their YA debuts published since I've chatted with each a bit. Jocelyn and I have only chatted a tiny bit when I got to meet her at BEA through Michele Jaffe (Jocelyn was her editor for Rosebush), and then we've emailed once or twice. She told me about her book through email after BEA and it just sounded so good. Now, at this BEA, I'll be getting a signed copy of that book (yes, she's doing a signing!) and I can't wait to read it.

Anne and I go a bit further back to my first blogoversary (June 2008) and she sent me a TON of Penguin titles to read, review, and giveaway. She was so sweet and very helpful to me. Then around a year later (May 2009), she asked me to take a look at a book she was editing that was coming out early the following year (Feb 2010). ARCs hadn't even been printed yet so she sent me a PDF of the book. That book was The Naughty List by Suzanne Young, which started my friendship with Suzanne since I immediately emailed her after finishing the book and gushing about it to her. I think Anne left Penguin kinda shortly after if I recall correctly and we lost touch. I had no idea she was even writing a book, let alone got it published! It's now on my list of books to get at BEA (hmmm I wonder if she's doing a signing too, hehe!).

A Beautiful Dark will be released from HarperTeen on Sept. 27, and Circle Nine will be released from Candlewick on Sept. 13!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's so awesome! I didn't know that both of those authors were editors as well! (Your connections with both of them were interesting to hear about, too!)

    I'm definitely going to have to catch Jocelyn's signing at BEA--her book sounds fantastic! I'll be keeping my eye out for Circle Nine, too! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete