Picture drawn by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009. Header made by S.F. Robertson, 2010.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Meandering Monday (11)

This is gonna be a short Meandering Monday because I am sooo tired after the weekend I had. On Friday night, I went down to Raleigh, NC for the final stop in the Breathless Reads tour. It was awesome. A friend of mine came along with me and we had a good time, though got a bit lost on the way back. More details next Monday with pictures! I arrived home around 1am, went straight to bed, and woke up at 7:15am to get ready to head up to DC.

I was going to DC because my roommate and her boyfriend surprised me with an early birthday present- tickets to a Kathy Griffin show! We all love Kathy so it was really a present for all of us. The trip up was uneventful, then we grabbed lunch at Chipotle (them) and McDonald's (me) before heading over to visit with my grandma. We got there a bit late so we weren't able to visit for too long but it was nice to see her.

After that, I went home and did my taxes then it was time for dinner. My mom made spaghetti and meatballs with french bread, which we all really loved. We hung out for a bit after, though it ended up being too long because we ended up rushing out of the door. Luckily, everything went right for us- the subway stop we started at isn't far from the house, the train left shortly after we boarded (it was an end stop so sometimes those trains take a while to leave), we had to switch trains but the next train came after just a few minutes of waiting, the trackwork happening didn't hinder us much, and the shuttle to the Kennedy Center pretty much took off right after we got on at 7:50- 10 minutes before the show. They dropped us off at the front, we walked in and the theatre was the first on the left, blasting pop music.

We got our seats in the last row of the first set of seats in the orchestra section. It was such a good spot. We only had to wait a few minutes and then the show started so we got there at the right time. It started with a short clip video featuring interviews with Kathy, some stuff from her D-List show, and at the end, introductions from her celeb friends like Rosie O'Donnell, Betty White, Jane Lynch, Paris Hilton, and a couple others.

Kathy burst onto the stage, waving and dancing to Lady Gaga's Born This Way. Once she was done with that, she proceeded to make fun of multiple celebrities, including Charlie Sheen. She even wrote down quotes from him in her notebook because something new was popping up every hour. I was a bit sad there wasn't much about Oprah. I feel like there would've been but she made a joke about Oprah and some of the crowd didn't seem to like it so she skipped it. Which sucks because I really wanted to hear her thoughts on Oprah's final season and when Celine Dion was on last Monday. Hopefully it'll show up in her Bravo special which will be on in a few weeks.

The show was amazing though- she talked and joked for two hours and we all were laughing so hard. Once it was done, we went home (took longer though) and went to bed. We overslept a bit, had some breakfast and then drove back down to Lynchburg. It was a really fun weekend and one of the best I've had in a while.

Did any of you guys have a good weekend, either this one or sometime recently? Tell me about it!!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, can't wait for your Breathless Reads recap! :)

    Kathy Griffin is hilarious--so awesome that you got to see her live!

    My weekend wasn't near as exciting as yours--I spent it volunteering (all day Saturday) and doing things around the house (Sunday). I feel accomplished, though! :)

    ReplyDelete